Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Time I Got Pulled Over

I just left Woodlands, TX and had bought two new albums to listen to on my journey home. The two albums were The White Stripes- Get Behind Me Satan (and) Coldplay- X & Y. The Coldplay record totally disappointed me while The White Stripes had put out an amazing effort. This story isn't about the music though, its about the cop. Rain splashed on my windshield as I made my way across Texas. Quickly, the rain picked up and I was driving in a thunderstorm for about thirty miles until the rain let up. I am a very cautious driver even when it is not bad weather. I also love traffic, its odd but true. I still had my wippers still going but a slow speed and the headlights were just shining on the cement in front of me as a cop darted past me going in the other direction. I watched him in my rear-view mirror as he spun the car around and started coming up behind me. I checked my speed and realized I am going five, maybe even ten, under the speed limit. The rain stopped just as he flicked his lights on, I pulled over and tried not to freak out. This was the first time I was ever pulled over and as hard as I tried. . . I flipped out. I got nervous, wondering what I have done to be pulled over. Pushing my long hair behind my left ear, I rolled down the window and the cop asked his first of many questions. Dressed in a raggedy shirt with a couple of skulls&crossbones, a few rubber bracelets, an Eagle ring I bought at a gas station in the middle of Arkansas, jeans, and sneakers that I wore all during high school. The K-Swiss for those who remember them. I had some long hair and a scruffy beard. Basically I looked like I was on drugs or sold them. This picture was taken around then, I think. That is my friend Bono.










I have no clue how to do these picture post. Any who, the cop asked "Do you know why I pulled you over son?" I was quick to answer with "Zero clue, sir. I was not even going the speed limit." He notifies me about my brake light being out. I tell him thanks and figured that was it, that I would be on my way. He gazed at me and my "hobo chic" look and goes on to ask me "do you mind stepping out of the car young man?" I have nothing to hide, so I agree to get out of the car. As I wait a while two other cop cars come up and park as I stand there with nothing to hide. I did not move one ince, just stood there with my hands clasped together behind my head. He comes back from the squad car and starts in with the questions, and becomes a hard-ass about it. Who is Gary?- My dad. Where are you going?- Shreveport, Louisiana. Where are you coming from?- Houston. Why were you there?- Helping my brother move in. What does your brother do in Houston?- Landscape lighting. Why are there pots and pans in the trunk?- Stuff my brother did not need. Do you have any firearmes?- No sir. Knives?- Not any. Weapons of mass destruction? No sir, but I do have "Appetite For Destruction" by Guns N Roses in my cd-case.
He cracks a smile and hands me back my license and says "Get the hell out of here." I go on my way with just a warning and a story to tell.

Play A Song For Me-

Rex

No comments:

Post a Comment