Saturday, July 11, 2009

Apparently she can live without me

Back in high school I had a crush on Elizabeth "Izzy" Griffin. I did not act on this feeling due to the fact that I did not have my drivers license until the age of 19. . . or was it 20? So needless to say we never hung out during our high school days. After we graduated we became the best of friends, we were always kicking it. As we grew closer, the feelings grew stronger. From 2003-2005 we must of hung out 2 million times, dinners, movies, watching television, concerts, listening to music, and just enjoying eachother company. The picture you see at the top is the definition of our friendship (at the time 2004), she was loud, brash, and loveable. I was very to myself, only opened up to those close to me. We would go to dinners with others and I would only talk to Izzy and she knew I wasn't much for other people. Man those were great times. I have become less awkward now days. I am more open to those who I do not know. She was in and out of relationships during our friendship so she never really gave me a chance to speak up on how I felt. I believe there was a secret crush going on between us, I could be wrong. . . probably am. One nite, we were talking on the phone and she mentioned wanted to date an old fashion guy. A guy like me. It was the Fall of 2005 and our favorite band U2 were on tour, so we got a group of people together to make the trip to Dallas to see one of the greatest bands of all time perform. My now roommate Hester, Bono (Brent Lowrey), his fience Becky, Izzy, and myself set out for Dallas. I mention to Bono about making a move on Izzy, he thinks its a solid idea. Im not one for kissing someone out of the blue so I knew right off the bat I would not dare do that, Im old fashion remember. We get to Dallas for the show, Hester has a seat by himself across the arena, we hike a crazy amount of stairs to reach our seats (Bono, Becky, Izzy, and myself). We are in the nose bleeds and five rows from touching the back wall of the aren, I almost had vertigo and I am not talking about the U2 song. Bono keeps leaning over telling me to make my move. I keep shaking my head as in "not now." I ge so flippin nervous before stuff like this. On stage U2 goes into one of their most famous songs, "With Or Without You." My friend Bono nudges me and says "do it now, kiss her! How freaking cool would it be to have your first kiss with her while U2 plays With Or Without You?" I shake my head once again and mouthed "are you nuts???" As we stood there listening to one of the most moving, well known powerful love songs I take Izzy's hand. . . and say to her "Izzy, you want to go on a date for real, like a real date?" I nearly threw up right there, where did I get the nuggets (balls) to say that stuff? I told you I was old fashioned, I asked this girl out on a date when we have hung out a million times before. As if on a bed of nails she makes me wait, still holding hands, while U2 is still playing that classic song she answers my question with "We have been on a million dates, we just didn't know it. My life is crazy right now. . ." I say okay, we drop hands when the song ends. The three hour drive home that nite was a little odd and definitely silent. All I can remember on the way home is Hester ordering a bison burger from the Dairy Palace. To this day everytime I hear "With Or Without You" I think about this story and for some reason I smile. I think it is because I actually had the courage to say something, even though it was a little too late. Better late than never. Hester even texts me every once in a while if he hears the song and mentions that show and the situation. Did it hurt our friendship or end it. . . not at all. Even though she is no longer living anywhere close to me we still make time to talk on the phone or text eachother, most of the time saying ruthless things to eachother but we both know that we honestly care and love eachother. She was just in town a few weeks ago and we had dinner, that was fun. Here is a more recent photo.


Play a song for me,
-Rex

3 comments:

  1. Awww...what a sweet story.


    He WOULD order a bison burger. I'm sure he felt great after that one.

    ReplyDelete